Pages

Monday, August 16, 2010

Day 227: Waterfalls in mirror are larger than they appear

So, for our last day in Puerto Rico, Max and I went on a crazy adventure. We hiked up a river, including having to rock climb and hop stones in the river, until we got up 400 or so feet, to the top of an 82' waterfall. First off, the hike was way above my skill level. When they said "moderately challenging", I was honestly expecting something with steep hills at times, and maybe some rocks to have to climb over. I was NOT expecting to have to literally climb up a river, one rock and one small waterfall at a time. But, it turns out, in part because I have a patient partner and we had a really patient guide, my body actually could handle the hike. Once we got to the top, we got a safety lesson before getting tossed off a waterfall (metaphorically speaking, of course). Both of us made it down safely! This is Max coming down. He went down a few people after I did. It's not my best photo of the day, but it shows so well what we did.

After the rapelling, we hiked up to the ziplines and zipped down half the mountain. Then we hiked the rest of the way down, in the rain, before having one of the most fantastic puerto rican meals of the trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment